The Packaging is one of the most important aspects when it comes to the safety of the products. If the packaging of the products is not strong enough, then the safety of products could be easily compromised. This is why; the manufacturers of the packaging containers need to be very cautious about the quality of the materials they use in manufacturing the packaging containers. The materials must be tested thoroughly for their strength and quality so that best safety of the products could be ensured. One of the most important factors to calculate when selecting a material for a shipping container is the Edge crush value. The edge crush value of a material gives information about the strength of the materials. It gives the maximum value of the force that it can bear without causing any deflection in it.
The edge crush value of material is easily tested with the help of the instrument called Edge Crush Tester. In this test, the specimen is prepared with the standard dimensions and then this specimen is placed in the fixture provided for edge crush testing. This fixture is then placed on the machine and the machine is turned ON. The compression plates exert a compressive force on the specimen. The force is exerted until the specimen deflects. Once there is deflection in the specimen, the application of force is stopped, and the peak load is recorded in the digital load indicator.
Key Features of Presto’s Edge Crush Tester
- The instrument is provided with a LED digital display.
- The force measurement is done electronically with the load cell.
- The instrument can also be used for performing Ring Crush Test and Flute Crush Test with the same instrument using different fixtures.
- The instrument is equipped with feather touch display.
- The peak load indicator can store up to 9 peak load values in its memory.
Technical info of Presto’s Edge Crush Tester
- The maximum capacity of the instrument is 100 kilogram-force.
- The instrument offers a least count of 0.01 kgf.
- The accuracy of the instrument is ±2% within entire range.
- The test speed provided by the instrument is 12.5 ±2.5 mm.
- The machine is in compliance with quality testing standard IS 7063.
In the packaging of food products, the edge crush value plays a very important role. The edge crush value can be helpful in calculating the box compression value of the containers with the help of the McKee’s Formula which is given as
Compression Strength = k.ECT x T x Z
Where, k= Constant
ECT = edge crush test value
T=Thickness of CFB board (wall thickness)
Z= Perimeter of the box, i.e. (2 L + 2 W)
The best thing about the presto’s Edge crush tester is that it provides the easy operation and accurate testing result, and also it can be used for performing three different tests that are Edge, Ring, and Flute Crush test.